In this humid hot weather, almost everyone’s skin gets oily and it can be the most irritating thing ever. But do you know why skin becomes oily? Oily skin is a result of the sebum being overproduced from sebaceous glands. These glands are located beneath the surface of your skin.
Sebum is an oily substance that consists of fats. Sebum isn’t all negative as it helps preserve and moisturize your skin and keep your hair clean and shiny.
However, too much sebum can lead to oily skin which can lead to obstructed pores and acne. Genetics, changes in hormones, or even stress can increase the production of sebum.
Here are 5 home remedies that will free your skin from all the excessive oil from your face.
Honey is one of the most valued treatments for the skin of nature. It can support oily and acne-prone skin, thanks to its antibacterial and antiseptic capabilities. Honey is also a natural moisturizer, which helps to keep the skin moist but not oily. That is because moisturizers strip moisture from the skin without removing it. To treat acne and oily skin with honey, spread a thin, preferably raw layer onto your face; let it dry for about 10 minutes, and rinse thoroughly with warm water.
Oatmeal helps to keep inflamed skin calm and to absorb excess oil. This also helps in exfoliating dead skin. The oatmeal is normally ground when used in face masks. This can be mixed with yoghurt, honey, or mashed fruit like bananas, oranges, or papaya.
- Combine 1/2 cup of ground oats with hot water for a paste to shape.
- Stir in 1 drop of honey.
- Massage the mixture of oatmeal into your face for about three minutes; rinse with hot water, and pat dry.
- Alternatively, apply the oatmeal mixture to your face and leave it on for 10–15 minutes.
Use Egg Whites and Lemon:
A common treatment for dry skin is the egg whites and lemons. It is assumed both ingredients would close pores. The acid in lemon and other citrus fruits can help to absorb oil. Lemons have the antibacterial capacity, too, according to a 2008 report. However, for people with egg allergies, this treatment isn’t a safe choice.
To make a face mask with egg white and lemon:
- Combine 1 egg white with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, freshly squeezed.
- Put it on your nose, and hold it until the mask dries.
- With warm water remove and pat dry.
Ground almonds not only work to exfoliate your skin but also help to sop off excess oils and impurities. To use an almond facial scrub:
- To make 3 teaspoons finely grind the raw almonds.
- Apply 2 spoonfuls of raw honey.
- Gently apply to your nose, in circular motions.
Rinse off with warm water and scrub. Before applying the honey, you can also make an almond face mask by grinding the almonds in a paste. For 10–15 minutes keep the mask on. Rinse off with warm water, and dry hold. If you have a nut allergy, do not use it.
Tomatoes contain salicylic acid, which is a common home remedy for acne. The tomato acids can help to absorb excess skin oils and to unblock pores. Create a tomato exfoliating mask:
- Combine 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 tomato pulp.
- Apply in a circular motion on the skin.
- For 5 minutes keep the mask on.
- Thoroughly scrub with hot water, and pat dry.
- You can also add only slices of tomato pulp or tomato to your skin