Cupping in Islam, commonly known as Hajama, is one of the best and effective way to cure any sort of pain or bodily issues.
The act of performing cupping is a Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) and extensively reported in a wide collection of authentic ahadith.
Its practice is strongly recommended and emphasized in a number of narrations.
Our beloved Prophet cupped his body several times and also advised his Ummah to use it as the master of all remedies.
How does Hajama or Cupping work?
A cloth soaked in alcohol is lit with fire and inserted into the cup to remove the air out of the cup and create a vacuum. Cups are then immediately placed on top of meridian lines or on any other treatment area on the patient’s body. The vacuum causes the cup to suck the skin into it. The resulting suction pulls the blood deep down to the surface of the body. The improved blood and energy flow due to this results in healing.
Health Benefits of Cupping
1. Effectively relieves pain: Cupping relieves any kind of pain including headache, migraine, dental pain, lower back, etc. Cupping increases blood circulation and mobility, therefore it is an effective treatment for conditions like rheumatism, stiff neck and shoulders.
2. A remedies for Lung Diseases: Hijama is an effective treatment for lung diseases like chronic cough, asthma, bronchial congestion, and pleurisy.
3. Keeps the skin glowing and healthy: Cupping therapy improves the skin blood flow increases the supply of oxygen required for healthy skin. It is also helpful in reducing the recurrence of acne and other skin diseases. This therapy also helps to expand the blood vessels to facilitate blood flow and also remove toxic substances from the skin surface.
4. Relieving Digestive Problems: The treatment helps to relieve digestive problems caused due to chronic stress, malnutrition or immune system response.
5. A Way of Relaxation: Cupping also acts as a form of massage that provides relaxation. The energy and blood flow created is a good form of relaxation.
6. Faster healing: Strategically this treatment can increase the blood flow to specific areas that need healing. Increased blood and energy flow will lead to faster healing.
7. Works like a wonder for weight loss: Doctors often advise overweight patients to undergo Hajama treatment for weight loss. It boosts blood flow, which in turn increases metabolism and catabolism of stored adipose tissue. However, hajama for weight loss cannot help without improved dietary intake.
Importance of Hajama in the Divine Guidance
Instead of depending on our own opinions in favour of cupping, we must see the following ahadith that are enough to explain its importance.
“Indeed in hajama (cupping) there is a cure”. – Saheeh Muslim
“Indeed, the best of remedies you have is hajama (cupping)”. – Saheeh Al Bukhari
“Hijama is the most helpful procedure for human beings to cure themselves”. – Saheeh Al Bukhari and Saheel Muslim