The real identity of Punjab is no better than Sarson ka Saag and Makki ki Roti, this gift of nature not even good in taste but also nutritious and colourful just like the people of Punjab.
Its purity, freshness and herbal texture make it a the gift of winter and spring.
The most widely eaten, preferred and readily available vegetable in the winter season, ‘Saag’ has innumerable benefits.
Sarson is made from mustard greens and spices such as ginger and garlic. It is often served with makki ki roti. Sarson Ka Saag and makki ki roti with lassi is considered a special dish in all over Pakistan especially Punjab.
1- One kg of mustard greens
2- cups of cornflour
3- green chillies 8 pieces
4- garlic 8 pieces
5- dried round red chillies 10 pieces 6 ground turmeric 1 teaspoon
6- Salt to taste
7- Butter to taste
Ingredients for tempering:
1- garlic (finely chopped) 4 tbsp
2- 1/2 cups butter
3- tablespoons of oil
- Finely chop Saag and soak in turmeric water
- Then wash and put in the pan
- 3 Add flour and butter and cook until the water is dry
- When cool, grind in a chopper
- Put the 5 Saag back in the pan and cook for a few minutes
- 6 Mix flour and butter in it and fry it in a dish
- Ingredients for tempering in a frying pan
- Put it on the Saag and serve hot with Makki Ki Roti