Taliban insurgents attacked security check-post on Wednesday, leaving 14 Afghan-Malay soldiers dead.
According to an International News Agency, Taliban insurgents have stormed a checkpoint in western Herat province, killing 14 pro-government militia members. Whereas, several civilians have also been wounded in the attack.
Herat police said that nine soldiers were killed in Rubat-e-Sangi district of Herat after a large number of Taliban fighters stormed security checkpoints in the Chahardara area.
The Taliban have yet not claimed responsibility for the attack in Herat, according to media.
Last year in 2018, Nine Afghan security personnel were killed in Taliban’s attack on checkpoint of Herat.
News broke down after the United States and Afghan Taliban group resumed their eighth round of talks in the Qatari capital of Doha earlier this month, hoping to halt 18 years of fighting.
According to a Taliban source, efforts were under way to organize a direct meeting between the U.S. envoy for Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad and Mullah Baradar, a co-founder of Taliban.
Suhail Shaheen, a Taliban spokesman for the organisation’s political office in Doha, said on Twitter that if an agreement was finalised, “it will allow all foreign forces to exit Afghanistan within a certain time period and open the door for talks” with the Afghan government.
The United States, which invaded Afghanistan and toppled the Taliban from power in 2001, wants the group to guarantee that Afghanistan will not become a haven for terrorists, while Taliban is seeking assurances from Washington that all foreign forces will withdraw from the country.
Despite negotiations, the fighting has not subsided, as the civilian casualty rates across Afghanistan jumped back to record levels last month, according to the United Nations.