Scotland Yard has named the terrorist responsible for yesterday’s attack on London Bridge as 28-year-old Usman Khan.
Anti-terror police have raided a house in Staffordshire area which was linked to Usman Khan.
Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu confirmed that a man and a woman had been killed in the attack.
Usman Khan was a former prisoner convicted for terrorism offences and released last year, police said Saturday.
Police identified Usman Khan as the terrorist saying that were not actively seeking any other suspects in relation to the incident.
“This individual was known to authorities, having been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences. He was released from prison in December 2018 on license,” Neil Basu said in a statement.
Three more people were wounded in the daylight stabbing spree which revived memories of a three-man attack on London Bridge two years ago that killed eight.
Basu said that the suspect had been living in the Staffordshire region of central England and officers were searching an address in that area.
“We believe that the attack began inside before he left the building and proceeded onto London Bridge, where he was detained and subsequently confronted and shot by armed officers”, the statement said.
According to details, Usman Khan was living in Stafford and in 2012 was sentenced to indeterminate detention on the grounds of public protection with a minimum jail term of eight years.
However, in 2013 the sentence was overturned and Khan was sentenced for a 16-year fixed term.