Iran fires ballistic missiles at U.S. troops in Iraq
Iran on Wednesday has launched ballistic missiles attack on US forces in Iraq in the early hours.
Iran launches 13 ballistic missiles in retaliation for the US drone strike on an Iranian general Qassem Soleimani.
His killing has raised fears of a wider war in the Middle East.
The target was Al-Asad airbase in Iraq which houses US & coalition forces.
This is a direct route to war between Iran and US.
Tehran fired more than a dozen ballistic missiles from Iranian territory against two Iraqi military bases hosting US-led coalition forces.
US media reports at least 13 confirmed hits, casualties’ number currently unknown.
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards confirmed they fired the missiles to retaliate for last week’s killing of Qassem Soleimani.
The statement advised the United States to withdraw its troops from the region to prevent more deaths.
The Pentagon said, “We are working on initial battle damage assessments,” adding the bases targeted were Al-Asad air base and another in Erbil, Iraq.
“It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting US military and coalition personnel” at Ain al-Asad and Arbil, the Pentagon said.
There were no immediate reports on casualties. The Pentagon said the facilities had been on “high alert” after days of steadily mounting tension and exchanges of threats of war.
US President Donald Trump tweeted, “assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good!”
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
The Iranian Revolutionary Guards warns a US counter-attack will meet with an even more crushing response.
It threatens to strike Israel and America’s “allied governments.”
Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif seemed to indicate that the missile strikes were over for now.
“Iran took and concluded proportionate measures in self-defence” targeting a base from which a “cowardly armed attack against our citizens and senior officials” launched, he said on Twitter.
Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.
We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.
— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) January 8, 2020
South Asia eyes tourism revival with eased restrictions
KATHMANDU: Nepal has restarted visas on arrival for vaccinated tourists as South...
Twitter introduces cryptocurrency tipping for all users
Twitter will be allowing crypto options to its tipping jar, enabling any...
Golem Network has introduced an application to mine Ethereum
Golem Network has introduced an application that enables users to mine Ethereum...
Chinese central bank executive: crypto adoption is a ‘huge challenge’
As per the warning by the Chinese central bank executive, the quick...
China is bringing forces to combat cryptocurrency operations in the state
The government of China is getting very serious about the crypto industry...