Air Defense of Saudi Arabia intercepted two ballistic missiles above the kingdom’s capital, Riyadh, and the southern city of Jizan.
Arab media reported Air Defense of Saudi Arabia intercepted two ballistic missiles above the kingdom’s capital, Riyadh, and the southern city of Jizan.
Spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen Turki al-Malki said missiles destroyed around 23:23 locla time on Saturday.
In a statement quoted by the official State Press Agency, the colonel blamed the foiled assaults on Yemen’s Houthi rebels and said no casualties have been recorded so far.
Al-Malki said the interception of the missiles had resulted in “debris scattering on some residential areas” in Riyadh and Jizan.
Residents in Riyadh reported at least three blasts late on Saturday night, followed by emergency vehicle sirens in some northern districts.
Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya television said US Patriot missile defence systems were used in the interception.
Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthis battling the Saudi-led coalition have launched hundreds of missiles and drones across the border, mostly at nearby military and civilian targets but also at Riyadh.
The city is about 1,000 kilometres (620 miles) north of the border with Yemen, and the last attempted attack on the capital was in June 2018.
The latest missile attack comes after all parties in Yemen’s long conflict offered support for the United Nations’ call for a ceasefire to protect civilians from the novel coronavirus pandemic.
The call coincided with the fifth anniversary of Saudi Arabia’s intervention in Yemen’s civil war, at the helm of a military coalition supporting the internationally recognised government against the Houthi rebels.
In his statement, al-Malki said that firing missiles at this time by the Houthis and Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps showed the real threat the group, and the Iranian government supporting it, pose.