Ellen Degeneres is the latest talk show host to pull her live audience amid the coronavirus outbreak.
The presenter, Ellen apologized to fans who were looking forward to coming to live recordings as she issued a statement on social media.
Ellen DeGeneres shooting without studio audience
‘I have some news. For now, I’ll be shooting my show with no studio audience.
To everyone who was looking forward to coming, I’m so sorry,’ she wrote.
‘But I’m doing this for the health of my fans, my staff & my crew.’
Clearly keeping her sense of humour intact, she joked: ‘(It has nothing to do with a warrant for my arrest in the state of Florida.)’
I have some news. For now, I’ll be shooting my show with no studio audience. To everyone who was looking forward to coming, I'm so sorry. But I’m doing this for the health of my fans, my staff & my crew. (It has nothing to do with a warrant for my arrest in the state of Florida.)
— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) March 12, 2020
Ellen Degeneres had earlier also refrained from greeting her celebrity guest on the show Mandy Moore with a hug.
She said, “It’s hard because I just forget that we are not supposed to hug,”
The host also added: “I think gloves are going to come back in style.”
— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) March 10, 2020
This being said, the show’s production schedule will remain unaffected by the move and will be regularly reviewed.
NBC also announced that Jimmy Fallon’s Tonight Show and Late Night with Seth Meyers will also be suspending studio audience from Monday.
Earlier, CBS also made the same decision for The Late Show with Stephan Colbert as well as Comedy Central’s The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Bravo’s Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on HBO.