The EU on Monday announced plans to introduce a temporary ban on non-essential travel to the territory of the bloc’s member countries to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus.
According to the details, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said the measure aims to prevent the virus from gaining more potential.
Under the plan, non-EU citizens will not be allowed in the bloc for an initial 30 days, but this may later be extended.
The sources of Anadolu Agency said that von der Leyen explained, The proposal will be finalized on Tuesday.
Von der Leyen and the president of the European Council already informed the leaders of the G7 — the seven most advanced economies of the world — about the plans on restricting non-essential travel in a videoconference on Monday afternoon.
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen also shared the details in her tweet.
The @EU_Commission presents guidelines on border measures & proposes:
1⃣Green lanes/fast lanes giving priority to essential transport to keep the mobility sector going & ensure economic continuity
2⃣Temporary restriction on non-essential travel to the EU (30 days) pic.twitter.com/9bda9MntF0
— Ursula von der Leyen #UnitedAgainstCoronavirus (@vonderleyen) March 16, 2020
Earlier on march 11, The World Health Organization sees the outbreak of the new coronavirus as a pandemic, Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday.
He told a news conference, “We are deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity and by the alarming levels of inaction. We have therefore made the assessment that COVID-19 can be characterized as a pandemic.”