New Zealand commemorates the first anniversary of the Christchurch mosque massacre.
A crowd was seen singing and dancing in honor of 51 people murdered in the massacre a year ago.
However, major big events were cancelled to avoid the spread of coronavirus.
It should be remembered that 51 Muslims were killed in an attack on 15 March 2019 allegedly by white supremacist Brenton Tarrant at the Masjid An-Nur mosque and the Linwood Islamic Center.
The canceled event had been predicted to involve a large group of people to pay homage to those killed.
New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Arden gave a statement to the international news agency. She said, “We’re very saddened to cancel, but in remembering such a terrible tragedy, we shouldn’t create the risk of further harm being done,”
Muslims gathered at the Masjid An-Nur Mosque on Sunday; they were seen greeting each other with grief. Young girls from the Marlborough Girls College in Blenheim were also seen holding hands and singing at the entrance.
In addition to this, the Tu Tangata Iwi Tapu Motorcycle Club also took part, they took selfies with the survirors.
The alleged gunman behind the tragic incident is now facing charges. He is facing 51 charges of murder and 40 for attempted murder. He may is likely to be thrown into jail in June.
Also read: American Airlines announces to cut 75% of its international flights
American Airlines Inc said it plans to cut 75% of its international flights through May 6 and ground nearly all its wide body fleet.
Reuters reported that dramatic announcement came hours after the White House said United States would widen new travel restrictions.
The Trump administration also signaled it wanted Congress to quickly back financial support for troubled U.S. airlines.