The US has launched an airstrike in retaliation against a pro-Iranian militia group in Iraq.
The attack took place in retaliation after two of its soldiers were killed in a rocket attack.
The US defence department said that the strikes have targeted five weapons storage facilities across the country.
Note that rocket attack took place on the Camp Taji military base on Wednesday that killed two Americans and a British soldier.
According to the international news agency, the US commander claims the rockets were likely to have fired by an Iranian-backed militia group.
Central Command Chief Gen Kenneth McKenzie informed the Senate committee, “The Iranian proxy group Kataib Hezbollah is the only group known to have previously conducted an indirect fire attack of this scale against US and coalition forces in Iraq,”
The defence department stated on Thursday that a series of “defensive precision strikes” took place by manned aircraft against a militia group.
It said, “These include facilities that housed weapons used to target the US and coalition troops,”
Defence Secretary Mark Esper said, “The United States will not tolerate attacks against our people, our interests, or our allies,”
“We will take any action necessary to protect our forces.”
A senior commander of a militant group Qorgab Al Shabab was killed in an airstrike in Somalia.
State media reports that a reward of $5 m was issued by the US in 2008 for those who would provide information about the location of Bashir Mohamed Qorgab.
According to state media reports, the deceased was in charge of attacks on military bases and was also participating in operations in Kenya.