In India, ten people have died after drinking sanitizer due to the closure of liquor stores on account of coronavirus restrictions.
According to the India Media, Siddharth Koshal, superintendent of police in Andhra Pradesh’s Kurichedu town, said the men had lost consciousness after drinking large quantities of sanitizer.
The victims were rushed to a hospital where they were pronounced dead, he said.
The police officer said that due to the lockdown in the town by the administration, they decided to drink sanitizer as an alternative to alcohol.
He said that an investigation has been launched into the incident.
It should be noted that hundreds of deaths occur in India every year due to drinking raw and poisonous alcohol.
Indigenous brewers often add methanol to increase its intake, which is a highly toxic type of alcohol and is sometimes used as a fuel.
The deaths in Kurichedu town come just hours before the death toll from the coronavirus in India has risen to more than 35,000.
After such a large number of deaths from the pandemic, India has surpassed Italy.
India, the world’s second-most populous country, has more than 1.63 million cases of coronavirus and has become the third most affected country in the world.