At least 10 patients have lost their lives due to fire at a temporary Covid hospital in Vijayawada, south-east India.
On the other hand, more than 20 people have been injured. They have been taken to another hospital in Vijayawada.
The incident took place at Swarna Palace, a hotel that was being used as a Covid-19 hospital.
Officials said that surviving patients have been taken to another hospital and fire was brought under control in half an hour.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed concern as he said he was “anguished” by the blaze, the second fire at a Covid center in days.
Anguished by the fire at a Covid Centre in Vijayawada. My thoughts are with those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that the injured recover as soon as possible. Discussed the prevailing situation with AP CM @ysjagan Ji and assured all possible support.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 9, 2020
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy announced that families of the victims will be given compensation of five million rupees.
A senior fire department official informed the international news agency that the fire had spread after staff member’s PPE kit caught fire due to a short circuit.