China’s broadcasting regulator on Thursday made an announcement on pulling BBC World News off the air in the country for serious content violation.
The development came a week after Britain’s media regulator revoked Chinese state television’s broadcast licence.
In a statement issued, the administration said an investigation found BBC World News‘ China-related reports had “seriously violated” regulations, including that news should be “truthful and fair,” had harmed China’s national interests and undermined national unity.
The channel, therefore, does not meet requirements for foreign channels broadcasting in China and its application to air for another year will not be accepted, it added.
English-language BBC World News excludes in most TV channel packages in China but found available in some hotels and residences.
The BBC did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
However, British Foreign Minister Dominic Raab said China’s decision to ban the news channel damaged China’s global standing.
“China has some of the most severe restrictions on media & internet freedoms across the globe, and this latest step will only damage China’s reputation in the eyes of the world.”
China’s decision to ban BBC World News in mainland China is an unacceptable curtailing of media freedom. China has some of the most severe restrictions on media & internet freedoms across the globe, & this latest step will only damage China’s reputation in the eyes of the world.
— Dominic Raab (@DominicRaab) February 11, 2021
Earlier on February 4, British media regulator Ofcom revoked China Global Television Network’s (CGTN) licence to broadcast in the United Kingdom.
This move came after an investigation found the licence was wrongfully held by Star China Media Ltd.