A Minnesota judge has on Thursday (today) ordered to bring in a new charge against a police officer Derek Chauvin, accused of choking a 46-year-old black man named George Floyd on the street of Minnesota (northern regions of the United States) on May 25, 2020.
Derek Chauvin already faces custody of second-degree murder and assassination following George Floyd’s killing.
According to the details, prosecutors have now demanded to redeem a third-degree murder charge against the accused.
However, Judge Peter Cahill has agreed to restore the third-degree murder charge, which bears a maximum punishment of 25 years against the cop.
Previously in 2020, intense sit-ins had erupted after a video surfaced on social media which showed a black man named George Floyd being strangled on the street of Minnesota by a police officer while the man was saying in a low voice. “I can’t breathe, don’t kill me.”
Four police officers had been suspended after the video surfaced.
Minnesota police had told that George Floyd was working as a security guard at a hotel when he was found drunk on another person’s car and resisted when police asked him to get off.
Moreover, the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) had launched an investigation into the incident.
On the other hand, A lawyer for George Floyd had said in a memorial service that a “pandemic of racism” caused his death.
“It was the pandemic of racism and discrimination that caused his death,” he added.
Moreover, The Black Lives Matter demonstrations – some of which turned violent – had become a central political issue in the run-up to November’s US presidential elections 2020.