ICC dismisses case against deceased Libyan general

ICC dismisses case against deceased Libyan general

ICC dismisses case against deceased Libyan general

The court said judges terminated proceedings against Al-Werfalli after studying evidence that included witness statements, photographs and social media posts – Google

Advertisement
  • The ICC has withdrawn its case against a Libyan commander.
  • Mahmoud Al-Car Werfalli was wanted for his suspected role in the execution or ordering of 33 hostages.
  • He allegedly opened fire in front of a mosque in Benghazi, killing ten people in 2018.
Advertisement

The International Criminal Court on Wednesday withdrew its case against a Libyan general for war crimes after prosecutors confirmed his death.

The decision was made more than a year after Libyan officials stated that attackers opened fire on Mahmoud Al-Car Werfalli’s home in the eastern city of Benghazi, killing the commander of the self-styled Libyan Arab Armed Forces.

Read more: Libya capital rocked by heavy fighting between militias

After looking at the evidence, which included witness statements, pictures, and social media posts, the court told Al-Werfalli that the case against him was over.
Advertisement

The judges “found Mr. Al-death Werfalli’s to be established and concluded that the proceedings against him must be ended and that the arrest warrants are no longer valid,” according to a court statement.

Al-Werfalli was wanted by the International Criminal Court for his suspected role in the execution or ordering of 33 hostages in Benghazi in 2016 and 2017.

As per the ICC, the murders were filmed and shared on social media. In 2018, he allegedly opened fire in front of a mosque in Benghazi, killing ten people.

In 2011, Libya plunged into turmoil and became a refuge for Islamic extremists and armed groups. In the same year, the UN Security Council requested that the court in The Hague investigate the violence prompted by the 2011 uprising that ultimately led to Muammar Qaddafi’s removal and death.

Advertisement

Read more: EU court rejects Putin ally appeal against Libya sanctions

Human rights activists provided information to the International Criminal Court (ICC) and demanded an investigation into the mistreatment of migrants in Libya that “may amount to crimes against humanity” last year.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Read More News On

Catch all the International News, Breaking News Event and Latest News Updates on The BOL News


Download The BOL News App to get the Daily News Update & Follow us on Google News.


End of Article

Next Story