Currently there is no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The best way to prevent coronavirus disease is to avoid being exposed to this virus. Healthcare Specialists recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases, including:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick or diagnosed with coronavirus.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose.
- Stay at home when you are sick.
- Cover your sneeze or cough with a tissue and throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Follow theserecommendations for using a facemask.
- Facemasks should be used by people who have symptoms of COVID-19 to prevent the spread of this deadly disease to others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and those taking care of patients.
Wash your hands often with water and soap for at least 20 seconds, especially when going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing,.
- If water and soap are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
Currently there is no specific treatment recommended for COVID-19. People with coronavirus should receive supportive care to help relieve symptoms. For severe cases, treatment should include care to support vital organ functions.
People who think they may have been exposed to COVID-19 should get in touch with their healthcare provider immediately.