The Sindh government has announced not to open all educational institutions in the province, including schools, from June 1 in view of the deteriorating Coronavirus situation.
A statement issued by the Sindh government said that the steering committee had met on May 12 to discuss the opening of private and public educational institutions in view of the Coronavirus pandemic.
After the meeting, the education department announced that all educational institutions, including schools, would remain closed and would not reopen from June 1, and the date for reopening would be announced in view of the Coronavirus situation.
The statement further said that students from class I to VIII have been promoted to the next classes.
It may be recalled that after the first case of coronavirus was reported in Karachi on February 26, the Sindh government had decided to close the school for two days. However, the decision was extended on March 1 and the school was declared closed till March 13.
Provincial Education Minister Saeed Ghani had initially announced the reopening of the school from March 16, but the decision was later reversed due to the situation.
Ninth and tenth-grade examinations in the province, which started on March 16, were cancelled and provincial education minister Saeed Ghani said educational institutions would reopen on June 1, 2020, after the summer holidays.
However, in view of the increasing cases of coronavirus and deaths in the province, it has been decided in principle to keep the school closed.
Another 804 new cases of coronavirus and a record 31 deaths in a single day were reported in Sindh today.
Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah said that 3316 tests were conducted in the last 24 hours out of which 804 were positive.
In all, 26,113 people have been infected and 427 killed in the province so far.
So far, a total of 64,745 people have been infected with the virus across the country, while 1,359 deaths have been confirmed.