Muharram is one of Muslims’ most important months, and marks the beginning of the Islamic New Year based on the lunar Hijri calendar, and is considered a holy month, second only to Ramadan in its importance.
Muharram al-Haram is among Almighty Allah’s 4 favorite Islamic months. Allah has said in the Quran that,
“Verily, the number of months with Allah is twelve (in a year): It was so ordained, by Allah on the Day when He created the heavens and the earth; of them, four are sacred. That is the right religion, so wrong, not yourselves therein…” [al-Tawbah 9:36]
The Holy Prophet (PBUH) also explained the importance of Muharram in one of His Ahadees.
The year is twelve months, of which four are sacred: three consecutive months, Dhu al-Qa‘dah, Dhu al-Hijjah and Muharram, and Rajab of Mudar which comes between Jumaada and Sha‘baan.” (Narrated by al-Bukhari 2958)
10th Muharram is known for the “Battle of Karbala” around the world. Muslims around the world mourn over Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) grandson Imam Hussain (RA) death. The history tells that Yazid had martyred Imam Hussain (RA) along with his 72 companions including his son Ali Asghar (RA), who was 6-year-old at that time, women and children. They were taken to Syria as their prisoners.
Other Significant Events Happened on 10th Muharram:
Apart from the Battle of Karbala, there are many Islamic historical events that have occurred on the 10th of Muharram.
1. Allah bestowed Prophet Moses (Musa) the miracle of splitting the Red Sea, saved him with his people and flooded the Pharaoh and his soldiers.
2. Prophet Nuh’s arc landed on Mount Judi.
3. Prophet Yunus (Jonah) got out of the belly of the fish.
4. Allah (SWT) accepted Prophet Adam’s repentance on Ashura.
5. Prophet Yusuf (Joseph) came out of the well that he was thrown.
6. Prophet Isa (AS) (Jesus) was born on Ashura and ascended to heaven on Ashura, as well.
7. Prophet Dawud’s (David) repentance was accepted.
8. Prophet Abraham (AS) was born.
9. Prophet Yaqub (AS) (Jacob)’s eyesight, which he had lost years ago was restored.
10 Ayni (RA) states that:” Some people mention that Hazrat Idris (Enocha) (AS), Ayyub (Job) (AS) and Sulayman (Solomon) (AS) amongst the ten prophets because Idrıs was accented to the heaven on that day. Ayyub recovered from his illness and Sulayman was bestowed wealth. (Sahihi Muslim)
The Holy Prophet (PBUH) Sayings Regarding Ashura:
Our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) stated the following things regarding Ashura:
- On the Day of Ashura Allah (SWT) created the seven heavens, seas, mountains, the pen, Lawh-I Mahfuz (the preserved tablet), the stars, the Kursi, Angel Gabriel, and the other angels.
- The first rain fell from the sky on the Day of Ashura.
- The end of the world will come on Ashura.
Ashura And The Changing of The Holy Kaaba’s Cover:
In the time of our Beloved Prophet (PBUH), Kaaba’s covering used to be renewed on the Ashura day of every year.
It was narrated from Hazrat Aisha (RA):
“Ashura is the day which Kaaba is covered.” (Muslim, Abu Dawud)