The announcement was made by the governing body of the ECB on Tuesday. The decision has been taken in the wake of coronavirus.
The chief executive of ECB, Tom Harrison said, “Such measures would have been unthinkable seven months ago but had been forced on the board by the coronavirus.” Harrison said English cricket has already lost more than £100 million ($129 million, 108 million euros) a figure that could rise to £200 million next year if the pandemic continues to have an effect.
According to the details, the ECB instituted pay cuts back in April, with Harrison himself taking a 25 percent reduction in his salary, and wages of other employees were reduced on a sliding scale from 10-20 percent. Although all the 18 men’s’ international matches scheduled for this season are set to be played.
“The Covid-19 pandemic has left cricket facing its most significant challenge of the modern era,” Harrison was quoted as saying. He further said, “There is also deep uncertainty about the future, and it is vital we take more steps now to ensure the future financial sustainability of cricket in England and Wales.” According to Harrison, the ECB would need to become a leaner and more agile organization, saying savings would only be possible by reducing our headcount.
Although he did not specify the areas in which the cuts would be made but he said every part of the ECB is affected by these changes and that a collective consultation will begin immediately. According to the details, proposals include a 20 percent reduction in the workforce budget, which will be equal to the removal of 62 roles from the structure of the ECB.