Minar-e-Pakistan assault: Punjab govt removes DIG Operations, other cops
LAHORE: Punjab government on Friday decided to suspend five police officials for failing to take measures in time to the public assault of a woman at the Minar-e-Pakistan on August 14.
In this regard, a meeting was held, presided over by the chief minister himself to review the progress made in the investigation of this viral incident, which has become a test case for the provincial government and the Punjab police.
Punjab Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Inam Ghani presented the report to CM Buzdar explaining the role of the police officials.
According to sources privy to this development, CM Buzdar instructed the IGP that there is absolutely zero tolerance for such instances and the police officials concerned should be suspended with immediate effect.
“I cannot tolerate such incidents IG Sahib and all who are involved in this incident or have shown negligence should be dealt with an iron-hand,” the sources quoted the chief minister, as saying.
Following CM Buzdar’s instructions, IGP Ghani removed Lahore DIG Operations Sajid Kayani, SSP Operations Syed Nadeem Abbas and Additional SP Operations Hassan Jahangir from their posts, while DSP Badami Bagh Usman Haider and SHO Lorry Adda Mohammad Jamil were suspended.
“Strict departmental action will be taken once Enquiry Committee submits its detailed report on the role and response of other officers InshaAllah,” IGP Ghani said in a tweet.
We have suspended SHO and SDPO whereas Divisional SP, SSP Operations and DIG Operations Lahore have been removed from their posts. Strict departmental action will be taken once Enquiry Committee submits its detailed report on the role and response of other officers in sha Allah. pic.twitter.com/RJzwbS1Lan
— Inam Ghani QPM & Bar, PSP (@InamGhani) August 20, 2021
On the directives of the chief minister, Punjab government also suspended the project director and deputy directors of the Greater Iqbal Park where an unpleasant incident took place on the Independence Day.
“The culprits will be taken to task and handed over severe punishments and the victim will be given justice,” CM Buzdar said in a confident tone. He admitted that the police response was delayed.
“The masses have high expectations from the police and the police have to carry out their duties according to the aspirations of the masses,” he said.
He expressed concern over the public assault of the woman and some other recent incidents in Lahore.
Concerned about the police performance, CM Buzdar said unfortunately, the police’s response to the woman assault and other incidents has been slow.
The recent incident came to light after a video went viral on social media, which showed hundreds of men attacking a woman (who is a TikToker), as she went to the park with four of her friends on the eve of the Independence Day.
The Lahore police had registered a case against 400 men for assaulting the woman.
Punjab government awaits Nadra report
The police had already taken 20 people into custody on the suspicion of assaulting and groping the Lahore-based female Ticktoker and the suspects have been handed over to the CIA for further interrogation.
A police official told BOL News that all of them were detained from the areas of the Greater Iqbal Park vicinity.
“We have shared details of the suspects’ with the National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra) and are waiting for a detailed report regarding identification to proceed further with our investigations,” a senior police official told BOL News.
He said all of these suspects were taken into custody after police obtained videos that went viral on social media of the horrific assault of the woman, who was making videos for her TikTok account at the national monument, on the occasion of the Independence Day.
A senior police official said: “Once we receive the report from Nadra, we will seek the help of the victim for identification of the suspects.”
Medical examination report of the victim
CM Buzdar-led provincial government also released the medical examination report of the victim, which confirmed the details of the injuries she sustained after being assaulted by hundreds of men.
The report said the signs of inflammation were found on the woman’s body, adding that her neck, right hand and ears were swollen.
“There are three scratches on the right side of her chest and scratches on her left arm, back and both legs,” a medical examination report revealed.
The report also mentioned that there are several bruises on her body.
“They groped me, tore my clothes, beat me, and tossed me in the air,” the victim told this scribe and police, while crying.
She said the culprits also robbed her of Rs15,000, snatched her mobile phone, and took off her gold ring and studs.
“Only one person came to my rescue and helped me get out of the park, while hundreds of others were just standing there and making videos,” she said, while speaking to BOL News.
Noor Mukadam murder case: Defence lawyer completes arguments on bail plea
Zahir Jaffar and Ismat Adamjee have been designated as coconspirators in the...
Argentina will buy 12 JF-17 blocks III fighters from Pakistan
Argentina has officially allocated $664 million in its next year’s budget for...
COAS visits Government College University
RAWALPINDI: Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa visited...
Pakistan exit UK's travel red list
Pakistan will finally exit the United Kingdom's red list on September 22...
Bilawal warns PM Imran Khan about amnesty to terrorist groups
PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari stated that offering amnesty to terrorist groups is...