Deadly chaos erupts during Beirut rally against port blast judge
BEIRUT: Tank deployments and deadly exchanges of fire turned Beirut into a war zone Thursday after a demonstration organised by Shia parties against the lead port blast investigator turned violent.
Heavy fire rang out as ambulances rushed the wounded through the deserted streets, a few blocks from the Palace of Justice, where hundreds of black-clad protesters had gathered moments earlier to demand Tarek Bitar’s removal.
The judge has in recent days been in the sights of the Hezbollah and Amal parties in particular for insisting on subpoenaing top officials in his probe into last year’s deadly port blast.
According to medics, at least three people were killed and 20 wounded, all of them by gunfire.
AFP correspondents heard several loud bangs in the area, likely from heavy shelling, and saw black plumes rising from an apparent fire.
Residents cowered in corridors away from windows, as some were shattered by the gunfire.
Pictures circulating on social media showed children in a nearby school ducking under desks and gathering on the floor outside classrooms.
“Hezbollah taking to the streets and throwing all its weight in this battle… could lead to big clashes and to the destabilisation of the entire country,” said political analyst Karim Bitar.
The army reported “bursts of gunfire in the area of Tayouneh – Badaro” in the mainly Shia southern suburbs of the capital.
“The army rushed to cordon off the area and deploy in its neighbourhoods and their entrance. Patrols started as did the search for the shooters to detain them,” it said.
In a follow-up statement, the army warned it would open fire at anyone firing live rounds, calling on civilians to evacuate the area.
Prime Minister Najib Mikati called for calm to be restored and warned against attempts to drag Lebanon into violence.
Seen as a last hope for justice by many Lebanese but condemned as biased and corrupt by political leaders, Bitar has sparked deep divisions within government between those who want to keep him in his place and those who are pushing for him to go.
The Court of Cassation on Thursday turned down a lawsuit filed by two ex-ministers demanding his replacement, a court official told AFP on the condition of anonymity.
“Bitar does not fall under the court’s jurisdiction so it does not have the authority to consider requests for his dismissal,” the official said.
It is the second time this month that the judiciary has ruled in favour of Bitar, who is hailed by human rights groups and relatives of blast victims as a symbol of judicial independence in a country where political impunity has long been the norm.
The ruling, which goes into effect immediately, would allow Bitar to resume enquiries into the August 4, 2020 explosion which killed more than 200 people and destroyed large swathes of the capital.
But the investigator’s fate is all but clear as Hezbollah and Amal press ahead with a campaign aimed at removing him.
Hezbollah chief Hasan Nasrallah on Monday called for an “honest” judge to replace Bitar.
Ali Hasan Khalil, a senior Amal movement lawmaker, threatened a “political escalation” if the course of the investigation “was not rectified” after Bitar on Tuesday issued an arrest warrant against him for failing to show up for questioning.
Tensions spilled into cabinet with a meeting on Tuesday ending in a row as ministers affiliated with Hezbollah and Amal pressed the government to support their demand to replace Bitar.
A follow-up session scheduled for Wednesday was postponed, signalling no agreement has been reached between factions in the cabinet, with some ministers arguing the government should not intervene in judicial matters.
US budget deficit falls in 2021 to $2.8 tn as economy recovers
WASHINGTON - The US budget deficit narrowed slightly in the past year as the economy...
Qatar opens fifth 2022 World Cup venue
DOHA - Qatar inaugurated on Friday its fifth stadium for the 2022 World...
Iranian, Turkish FMs discuss ties, regional issues
TEHRAN -- The foreign ministers of Iran and Turkey have discussed a...
Pentagon chief sidesteps issue of US 'commitment' to defend Taiwan
US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin said Friday the Pentagon would continue to...
U.S. urged to honor commitment to China on Taiwan question
BEIJING -- A Chinese spokesperson Friday urged the United States to strictly...