California parents, students protest to cut honors classes for ‘equity’ reasons

California parents, students protest to cut honors classes for ‘equity’ reasons

California parents, students protest to cut honors classes for ‘equity’ reasons
Advertisement

According to local media, hundreds of San Diego parents and students opposed last week a since-paused proposal to eliminate 11th-grade honors programs from the city’s largest high school for equitable reasons.

According to an email from Patrick Henry High School (PHHS) Principal Michelle Irwin dated April 13, all 11th-grade History and English honors courses will be eliminated, following the school’s decision last year to eliminate Advanced World History, Advance Physics, Advanced Biology, and two other classes for gifted students. The 11th grade English and history Honors classes are being phased out. This adjustment will bring our English and history course offerings in 9th, 10th, and 12th grades in line with what is now available at PHHS “The National Desk received a document attached to Irwin’s email.

The adjustments will assist in producing more balanced heterogeneously grouped classrooms; reduce stigma, and “present a well-balanced course offering for all students,” according to a section of the paper labeled “Rationale For Changes. Our objective is to include kids of different nationalities and socioeconomic backgrounds in our classes. Access to education, adult prejudice, and a person’s self-generated identity are all variables that contribute to the injustices we today face “the document goes on,

However, after hundreds of children and parents protested last week, Irwin postponed the decision. More than 2,000 individuals signed a Change.org petition protesting the revisions. Following the demonstrations last week, the school hosted two Zoom sessions to get feedback from parents.

“At Henry, we’re extremely happy with all of the work we’re doing to help our kids and match our goals with our district goals by extending student access to hard curriculum,” Irwin told KNSD. “We also know that there are kids and parents who are concerned about the direction we’re taking, so we’re going to stop a little bit and collect more input from parents as well as students because we do want this to be a joint endeavor.”

Advertisement

Irwin and the San Diego Unified School District did not reply quickly to Fox News Digital, but district spokeswoman Mike Murad told KNSD that the move will be paused “after hearing from kids today and parents lately who had questions.”

Murad went on to say that the halt will allow school officials to “continue the dialogue on how to best assist each kid to realize their full academic potential.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Read More News On

Catch all the International News, Breaking News Event and Latest News Updates on The BOL News


Download The BOL News App to get the Daily News Update & Follow us on Google News.


End of Article

Next Story