Zelenskyy describes Russia as ‘insane’

Zelenskyy describes Russia as ‘insane’

Zelenskyy describes Russia as ‘insane’
Advertisement

Russia appears “crazy,” according to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, for continuing to strive to snare victory in the Donbas area.

Mr Zelenskyy expressed gratitude to “everyone” who is still defending the Donbas and other eastern and southern territories, saying that Ukraine is forcing Russian invaders to leave “step by step.”

The Ukrainian military said on Saturday that Russian forces were retreating from the area surrounding Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second largest city, following weeks of bombardment.

It came after a report from the Institute for the Study of War in Washington, which stated that Ukraine “appears to have won the Battle of Kharkiv.”

Earlier in the conflict, when Moscow sought to conquer and keep major cities, the predominantly Russian-speaking metropolis with a pre-war population of 1.4 million was an important military priority.

Advertisement

After failing to capture Kyiv, Ukraine’s capital, in the immediate aftermath of the February 24 invasion, and now with a retreat in Kharkiv, Russian President Vladimir Putin has turned his attention eastward to the Donbas, an industrial region where Ukraine has fought Moscow-backed separatists since 2014.

The attack intends to encircle Ukraine’s best-trained and equipped forces in the east, as well as conquer portions of the Donbas that are still under Ukrainian control.

Airstrikes and artillery barrages make moving about in the east exceedingly perilous for journalists, hampering efforts to capture a complete picture of the conflict.

However, it looks to be a never-ending fight with no substantial advances on any side.

Russia has taken control of certain Donbas villages and towns, including Rubizhne, which had a population of roughly 55,000 people before the war.

Mr Zelenskyy, on the other hand, said that his troops had made gains in the east, retaking six towns or villages in the previous day.

Advertisement

“The situation in Donbas remains very difficult,” he said in his evening address on Saturday, adding that Russian soldiers were “still attempting to come out at least partially victorious.”

“We are pushing the people to leave the Ukrainian land step by step,” he continued.

According to reports on a Telegram message from an account associated to officials in the besieged city, 500 to 1,000 automobiles were permitted to move to Zaporizhzhia.

Meanwhile, Finland’s Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto informed Swedish daily tabloid Aftonbladet that the country plans to submit its NATO application on Wednesday.

Finland, a historically neutral country that fought and lost against the Soviets in WWII, has opted to join the defence alliance.
On the diplomatic front, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg reaffirmed their support for the people of Ukraine and condemned “President Putin’s disastrous campaign.”

Advertisement

They also highlighted the necessity of NATO’s deterrence and defence capabilities.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Read More News On

Catch all the International News, Breaking News Event and Latest News Updates on The BOL News


Download The BOL News App to get the Daily News Update & Follow us on Google News.


End of Article

Next Story