Sindh Transport Minister Owais Shah has said that the intra-city transport will remain closed until further notice.
Taking notice of non-compliance of SOPs of Intracity Transporters, Transport Minister Owais Shah said that all elected representatives of Sindh are appealed to ensure implementation of SOPs in their areas.
Owais Shah says that action is being taken against the transporters if they will not follow the SOP.
He said that unless everyone works together, it will be difficult to implement SOPs. He said that Complaints are being received that transporters are not following SOPs.
The provincial transport minister said that the people are requested to follow the SOP, wear masks and maintain social distance.
He said that the ban on intra-city transport would be maintained until further notice and action was being taken against the violators.
Earlier on June 2, the Sindh government has announced the restoration of public transport and other transport services in the provincial capital Karachi.
After successful negotiations between the Sindh government and the transporters, the government allowed the resumption of the Karachi-based transport.
The Transport Minister also set up a Monitoring and Inspection Committee for the implementation of SOPs comprising of Transport and Revenue Officers.
The Transport Minister said that all transporters would have to comply with the relevant SOPs and if the SOPs were not complied with, the vehicles would be stopped.
He warned transporters that extra passengers would not be picked up in all vehicles.
He said that we all have to fight against coronavirus, whatever happens, will be in the interest of the people of Karachi.
He said that masks and sanitizers would be mandatory in passenger vehicles and action would be taken against those vehicles which did not have masks and sanitizers.
Owais Shah said that Sindh government would issue notification by tonight.
However, he said that transport from one city to another would remain closed.
Online transport services
The Sindh government also allowed an online taxi service operating in the city, saying only two people would be allowed to sit in it.
He said that in case of an emergency, one more person could be seated in the taxi.
He also said that the online bus service would be allowed to operate but the air-conditioning in the bus would not be allowed.
Lockdown in Sindh
Sindh Local Government Minister Nasir Hussain Shah has said that the Sindh government has decided to implement the decision of the federal government.
Addressing a press conference in the Sindh Assembly along with provincial ministers Barrister Murtaza Wahab, Owais Shah and Shabir Bijarani, he said, “A meeting was held yesterday under the chairmanship of the Prime Minister in which all the provincial chief ministers were present.
He said that the lockdown time in Sindh will be kept till 7 pm while there will be complete lockdown on Saturday and Sunday. However, necessary shops including medical stores will remain open.