The Ministry of Water and Power has rejected K-Electric’s (KE) report of not being supplied sufficient fuel to fulfill energy demands of the metropolis.
Earlier this week, KE CEO Moonis Alvi during a public hearing held by the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (NEPRA) had said the company’s plants ran out of oil due to which it had to resort to load shedding.
The power ministry spokesperson said that KE acknowledged itself that it had been supplied 290mmcfd gas instead of 190mmcfd.
He added that this was admitted by the KE representatives in front of the Sindh Governor Imran Ismail and Planning and Development Minister Asad Umar in a meeting on Saturday.
The spokesperson said that it was wrong of the company to link continued power outages to a lack of fuel supply at another forum.
He added that the Karachi’s sole power supplier had accepted that it generated 89% of power through fuel supply.
The ministry’s spokesperson iterated that the government had offered to provide 1000MW to KE, adding that the company will have to build a 500KV grid and invest in its distribution system to receive the required amount of electricity.