The Pakistan Meteorological Department (Met Department) has issued a Heatwave alert for Karachi starting 11th October today till the 17th of this month, when temperatures are likely to reach 39 degrees Celsius.
According to the details, the daytime temperatures will remain around 34 to 39 degrees Celsius throughout the week. Wind direction is likely to remain North to Northwest during this period.
The heatwave is common in Karachi and the city experiences several of them each year. A few years back in 2015, almost 1,200 people lost their lives to due heatstroke in the summer.
On the other hand, mainly dry weather is likely to prevail over most parts of the country, while hot in plain areas. While rain is expected in upper Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
According to the Met Office forecast in Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir, dry weather is expected in Srinagar, Leh, Pulwama and Shopian, while hot and dry weather is likely to prevail in Jammu.
Partly cloudy weather is expected in Anantnag and Baramula.
How to stay safe during a heatwave?
- Here are some of the tips advised by health experts to stay safe during the heatwave.
- Dress for the weather (wear loose-fitting and light clothing).
- Avoid exerting yourself outdoor during the day and plan most activities when the sun has gone down.
- Remember to stay hydrated (drink lots of water).
- Keep yourself cool by trying to stick to the shade. Don’t stay in the sun for too long.
- Always keep your head covered while outside.