Director General Inter-Service Public Relations (DG-ISPR) Maj. Gen. Babar Iftikhar said some military officers were involved in the escape of former banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan from military custody and action has been taken against them.
Talking to foreign media in his office on Wednesday, Maj. Gen. Babar Iftikhar said that the escape of Ehsanullah Ehsan was a very serious matter and after a thorough investigation, action has been taken against the responsible military officers.
He said that the progress of the operation would be shared with the media soon. Efforts were also being made to re-arrest Ehsanullah Ehsan but at present, he did not know where Ehsanullah Ehsan was.
He added that the Twitter account from which Nobel Prize-winning social activist Malala Yousafzai Malala was threatened was a fake account.
It may be recalled that in early February last year, there were reports that Ehsanullah Ehsan had allegedly managed to escape from the custody of the security forces.
Later, on February 17, Interior Minister Ijaz Shah confirmed media reports about Ehsanullah Ehsan’s escape.
The first alleged audiotape of Ehsanullah Ehsan, a former spokesman for the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), came to light in February, in which he revealed that he had escaped from the custody of Pakistani security authorities on January 11, 2020.
He claimed to be in Turkey, while several sources believe the former spokesman for the terrorist group was in Afghanistan.
In August 2020, Maj. Gen. Babar Iftikhar confirmed during a press conference on Ehsanullah Ehsan’s escape and subsequent question about the alleged audio tab that Ehsanullah Ehsan was being used during an operation and that he escaped.
On April 17, 2017, the Pakistan Army claimed that Ehsanullah Ehsan, a former spokesman for the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), had surrendered to security forces.