The Sindh government has on Sunday (today) opposed the decision by Federal Minister for Education Shafqat Mahmood for allowing 5-day regular classes from March 1, saying the announcement has “created confusion among the students.”
Sindh Education Minister Saeed Ghani, in this regard, said that as per the decision of the provincial government, schools will only allow 50% attendance, adding that regular classes cannot be resumed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Emphasizing the importance of following the coronavirus standard operating procedures (SOPs), he added that children going to school will be required to maintain social distancing in the classroom.
“How will children maintain social distancing if we allow 100 % attendance?” Saeed Ghani questioned.
“Once the pandemic end, all children will be allowed to go to school,” he went on to add.
“The decision to reopen schools was also taken by the committee,” he said,
The minister also reminded people that while COVID-19 cases have reduced in the province, the pandemic has not ended yet.
Earlier on February 25, Shafqat Mahmood had announced that all schools will go back to regular five day classes from Monday, March 1, 2021.
He had made the announcement via his tweet. The minister said that the restrictions imposed in some major cities on schools to conduct staggered classes was only till Feb 28
He wrote, “Important announcement. All schools will go back to regular 5 day classes from Monday March 1. Restrictions imposed in some major cities on schools to conduct staggered classes was only till Feb 28.”
Coronavirus cases have declined but the pandemic has not ended yet, Ghani added.
Important announcement. All schools will go back to regular 5 day classes from Monday March 1. Restrictions imposed in some major cities on schools to conduct staggered classes was only till Feb 28.
— Shafqat Mahmood (@Shafqat_Mahmood) February 25, 2021
Pakistan Coronavirus Cases:
Pakistan has reported 871 recoveries from the novel coronavirus in the past 24 hours taking the national tally of recovered patients to 545,277.
More 23 deaths were reported during this period and 1,176 new cases emerged after conducting 38,920 tests.
The current national death toll hit 12,860, whereas after new infections the total number of confirmed cases is 579,973. The active cases toll stands at 21,836.