Oman’s Yousuf Abdulrahim Al Balushi has been banned from cricket for seven years due to match-fixing offences, the International Cricket Council (ICC) said on Monday.
Al Balushi found guilty of breaching the ICC Anti-Corruption Code on four counts.
It related to Twenty20 World Cup qualifiers held in the United Arab Emirates last year.
The player admitted the charges and accepted the sanction imposed upon him.
“This is a very serious offence where a player attempted but failed to get a teammate to engage in corrupt activity in high profile games and this is reflected in the severity of the sentence,” said ICC General Manager.
“Without Mr. Balushi’s admission of guilt and full cooperation throughout our investigation, the ban could have been significantly longer.
“The player has also indicated that he is willing to contribute to future integrity education programs on our behalf to help younger players learn from his mistakes.”
Article 2.1.1: Being party to an agreement or effort to fix or contrive in any way the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of matches in the ICC World T20 Qualifiers 2019.
Article 2.1.4: Attempting to solicit, induce, entice, persuade, encourage or intentionally facilitate a Participant to breach Article 2.1.
Article 2.4.4: Failing to report the approaches or invitations that you received from three different individuals to be a party to an agreement or effort to fix matches in the ICC World T20 Qualifiers 2019.
Article 2.4.7: Obstructing or delaying an investigation carried out by the ACU in relation to possible Corrupt Conduct under the Code, including by concealing or tampering with information that may be relevant to that investigation and/or that may be evidence of or lead to the discovery of evidence of Corrupt Conduct under the Code.
Oman has qualified for the T20 World Cup, which will be held in Australia later this year.