Golf’s oldest major championship has become the latest victim of the COVID-19 pandemic. The 149th British Open, scheduled for July 16-19 at Royal St George’s Golf Club in Kent this year, has been canceled for the first time since World War II.
As per the details lurching collapse of sporting events globally has gathered pace as the oldest major championship of Golf British Open will now be played at the same venue from July 11-18 in 2021.
The golf showpiece, which started in 1860, also previously not held from 1915 to 1919 because of World War I.
“We have explored every option for playing The Open this year but it is not going to be possible,” organizers R&A chief executive Martin Slumbers said in a statement.
“Our absolute priority is to protect the health and safety of the fans, players, officials, volunteers and staff involved in the Open.
We care deeply about this historic championship and have made this decision with a heavy heart.”
R&A chief executive Martin Slumbers said “We rely on the support of the emergency services, local authorities and a range of other organizations to stage the Championship and it would be unreasonable to place any additional demands on them when they have far more urgent priorities to deal with.”
“We appreciate that this will be disappointing for a great many people around the world but we have to act responsibly during this pandemic and it is the right thing to do,” he added.
The British Open’s cancellation immediately sent shock waves through the golf world, with the sport’s other “big three” unanimously unveiling a new calendar.