Daniil Medvedev will not fight Wimbledon over the tournament’s ban on Russian and Belarussian players, although he did accept that the controversial decision was based on “a lot of blunders.”
Following the invasion of Ukraine, players from both countries have been barred from competing in the season’s third Grand Slam event, which begins next month.
They are, however, permitted to compete in other tournaments, including the French Open, which begins on Sunday in Paris.
“If I can’t play, I’m not going to go to court for this one,” 26-year-old world number two Medvedev said Friday.
“I don’t know what ATP is going to do, I’m waiting for their decision. But yeah, me personally, I won’t go to court.”
He added: “Maybe it’s the government pushing them (Wimbledon), maybe it’s their decision. There are a lot of mistakes behind this.”
The ATP, which oversees the men’s tennis tour, is reportedly close to making a decision on the Wimbledon saga.
In response to the suspension, the ATP and WTA may elect to deduct ranking points from the high-profile tournament.
“I love Wimbledon as a tournament. I honestly tend to think I like playing on grass, though I didn’t have amazing results so far, but I managed to win one tournament,” added Medvedev.
“But if I cannot play, I’m going try to play next year’s and try to play good there.”
Despite the suspension, Medvedev, who reached the last 16 at Wimbledon in 2021, expects to compete in grass-court tournaments this summer in s-Hertogenbosch, Halle, and Mallorca, where he is the defending champion.
His top aim, however, is the French Open, where he reached the quarterfinals following four straight first-round exits last year.
He escaped defending champion Novak Djokovic, 13-time winner Rafael Nadal, and emerging teenage sensation Carlos Alcaraz because he was drawn in the bottom part of the draw.
“Novak, Rafa, Roland Garros, it’s crazy how they play here. Carlos has been playing amazing lately. Miami, Madrid, Barcelona. Let’s see how he copes up with the pressure,” said Medvedev.
“If he manages to reproduce the same tennis, he’s going to be one of the favorites for sure. It’s good to have them on the other side of the draw.”
After undergoing hernia surgery, Medvedev, who finished second to Nadal at the Australian Open in January, has only played one clay-court match this year.
Despite losing in Geneva earlier this week to French veteran Richard Gasquet, he is looking forward to this year’s Roland Garros, which will see full crowds for the first time since 2019.
“I love the French Open. Last year, even though we didn’t have much of a crowd we had some atmosphere and I loved it.”
For the latest Sports News Follow BOL News on Google News. Read more on Latest Sports News on oldsite.bolnews.com