On Wednesday, YouTube said that it would remove all the videos from the platform containing misinformation regarding coronavirus vaccines.
YouTube said that from now and onwards, the video platform would ban any contents with claims to COVID-19 vaccines that refute from local health authorities or the World Health Organization (WHO).
“A Covid-19 vaccine may be imminent, therefore we’re ensuring we have the right policies in place to be able to remove [related] misinformation,” YouTube said in a statement.
It said that it would delete or ban any video that suggests the vaccine would:
involve microchips being implanted in people who receive the treatment
According to YouTube, 200,000 videos had already been removed from the platform for providing false information since February.
The Google-owned company also said that it was already limiting the spread of coronavirus related misinformation on the site, containing COVID-19 vaccine videos, however, YouTube did not provide any examples of such content.
On the other hand, YouTube said that in the coming weeks, it would be announcing for steps to promote accurate information about the coronavirus vaccine on the video-sharing app.