An autopsy revealed that Thierno Mamadou Diallo was killed by a bullet.
The ruling junta has promised to break with past practices.
Diallo’s death, one of the first civilians to die during a protest since the coup.
Guinean public prosecutor ordered a list of all police officers present when a young man was killed during protests last week, a significant departure from previous practice.
Alphonse Charles Wright, the public prosecutor in Conakry, also ordered police to turn over records of operational orders after an autopsy revealed that 19-year-old Thierno Mamadou Diallo was killed by a bullet during June 1 protest.
Relatives say Diallo was not involved in the demonstration against rising fuel prices, where clashes broke out between security forces and demonstrators.
“The Public Prosecutor’s Office … warns against any political exploitation of the judicial investigation and reiterates that it will initiate legal proceedings in accordance with the law,” Wright said.
He said judicial authorities would take control of the crime scene.
The move represents a marked change from the recent past.
Under the regime of President Alpha Conde, who was overthrown in September 2021, human rights groups regularly criticized security forces for using excessive force with impunity.
Dozens of Guineans were killed between 2019 and 2021 during demonstrations against Conde’s plans for a third term.
Almost no police or gendarmes have been held to account, human rights activists say.
The ruling junta has promised to break with past practices. Diallo’s death — one of the first civilians to die during a protest since the coup — puts that commitment to the test.