Senegal opposition leader gives ‘ultimatum’ after clashes

Senegal opposition leader gives ‘ultimatum’ after clashes

Senegal opposition leader gives ‘ultimatum’ after clashes

Senegal opposition leader gives ‘ultimatum’ after clashes

Advertisement
  • Senegal’s main opposition leader issues an “ultimatum” to President Macky Sall urging him to release those detained during a day of clashes that reportedly resulted in three deaths
  • Main opposition leader Ousmane Sonko accuses Sall of being “a murderous president”.
  • Sonko had called for demonstrations in response to a decision to bar a list of candidates from running in legislative elections on July 31.
Advertisement

The main opposition leader of Senegal has issued an “ultimatum” to President Macky Sall, urging him to release those detained during a day of clashes that reportedly resulted in three deaths.

On Friday, youths clashed with police in Dakar’s capital, as officers barred access to the home of opposition leader Ousmane Sonko.

Three opposition figures were also arrested and the city’s mayor was prevented from leaving his home, Sonko’s PASTEF party spokesman said.

Read More: Senegal police surround opposition chief’s home over protest call

Media and the opposition have now reported a third, collateral death from the clashes — a taxi driver shot in Ziguinchor, Casamance.

In a Facebook post late on Friday, Sonko said: “Mr Macky Sall, we give you an ultimatum (to) release all political hostages in your hands; beyond that, we will come and get these political hostages, whatever the cost.”

Advertisement

 

Sonko accused Sall of being “a murderous president”. Referring to riots that shook Senegal last year, he said: “After having murdered 14 people during the events of February-March 2021, here he is adding three more victims to his list in June 2022”.

The clashes come as the country is in the grip of pre-election tension.

Read More: Senegal says arrested breakaway Casamance rebels

Sonko had called for demonstrations in response to a decision to bar a list of candidates from running in Senegal’s legislative elections on July 31.

This also prevents him and other opposition figures from running in the election.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Read More News On

Catch all the World News, Breaking News Event and Latest News Updates on The BOL News


Download The BOL News App to get the Daily News Update & Follow us on Google News.


End of Article

Next Story