Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
After shark sightings, NYC closes the Rockaway beaches

After shark sightings, NYC closes the Rockaway beaches

After shark sightings, NYC closes the Rockaway beaches

NYC closes the Rockaway beaches

Advertisement
  • Rockaway Beach had a closure for swimming after additional shark sightings on Tuesday afternoon.
  • The boardwalk was left open and Rockaway Beach reopened a few hours later.
  • Earlier this week, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul ordered state agencies to increase surveillance off Long Island.
Advertisement

Tuesday’s beach closures in New York City were brought on by further shark sightings.

The 100th Precinct of the New York Police Department tweeted that “ALL of the Rockaway beaches”; were restricted to swimming as a result of the mid-afternoon sightings.

Rockaway Beach quickly reopened after the boardwalk remained open.

A park department enforcement officer and beachgoers at Beach 67th Street reported seeing two sharks; and at least one “apparently bumped” a swimmer,” according to the local daily The Wave.

A municipal lifeguard apparently said that the shark struck his board; in a story to Gothamist that was identical to this one.

Also Read

Huntington Beach Coastline Saw a Shark
Huntington Beach Coastline Saw a Shark

The shark was said to be up to 12 feet long. The...

Advertisement

Jones Beach, East Atlantic Beach, and all of the Hempstead beaches on Long Island; were all shut down as a result of sightings, according to PIX11.

The sightings follow other encounters and arrests in the area.

Gov. Kathy Hochul of New York issued an order to state agencies earlier this week to expand surveillance off Long Island; including by using drone and helicopter monitoring.

The number of lifeguards on duty will be boosted by 25%, and ocean waters will be searched; by Park Police patrol boats and New York State Police helicopter patrols.

The governor stated in a release on Monday that “when New Yorkers and tourists alike flock; to our beautiful Long Island beaches to enjoy the summer, their safety is our first priority”. “We are taking steps to increase shark patrols and safeguard beachgoers from potentially hazardous scenarios. In order to guarantee this summer’s beach vacations are safe and responsible; I urge all New Yorkers to pay attention to local authorities and adopt appropriate safety measures.”

Also Read

A guy is hospitalised following the 4th shark attack in two weeks in Long Island
A guy is hospitalised following the 4th shark attack in two weeks in Long Island

The surfer was taken to an area hospital after telling park officials...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Read More News On

Catch all the World News, Breaking News Event and Latest News Updates on The BOL News


Download The BOL News App to get the Daily News Update & Follow us on Google News.


End of Article

Next Story