Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Military had no direct role in riots, said Brazilian defence minister

Military had no direct role in riots, said Brazilian defence minister

Military had no direct role in riots, said Brazilian defence minister

Military had no direct role in riots, said Brazilian defence minister

Advertisement
  • Bolsonaro supporters stormed the presidential palace, the Supreme Court, and Congress on Jan-8.
  • Brazil’s defence minister stated that the country’s armed forces were not directly involved.
  • Defence minister assured that the government building would not be stormed again.
Advertisement

Jose Mucio, Brazil’s defence minister, has stated that the country’s armed forces were not directly involved in the January 8 attack on the seat of government in Brasilia, which was led by supporters of former far-right President Jair Bolsonaro.

Mucio’s declaration came after President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva met with army, navy, and air force chiefs on Friday, the first such gathering since the riots.

“I understand there was no direct involvement of the armed forces, but if any element participated, they will have to answer as citizens,” Mucio told reporters on Friday.

He went on to say that government buildings would not be stormed again because the armed forces would “anticipate” it.

His remarks come as the government has promised to hold those who enabled or participated in the riots accountable.

One of the figures currently under investigation is the governor of Brasilia, Ibaneis Rocha, who was suspended from his post in the hours after the attack. On Friday, federal police raided his home and workplaces as part of a probe into his failure to stop rioters from entering Brasilia’s government buildings.

Advertisement

During the attack, Bolsonaro supporters stormed the presidential palace, the Supreme Court, and Congress, hoping to spark a military intervention that would pave the way for Bolsonaro’s return to power.

Almost 1,400 people arrested in connection with the riots are still being held, and the public prosecutor has charged at least 39 people so far.

Also Read

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva dismisses 13 more military personnel after riots
Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva dismisses 13 more military personnel after riots

Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has fired 13 more military personnel. 40...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Read More News On

Catch all the South America News, World News, Breaking News Event and Latest News Updates on The BOL News


Download The BOL News App to get the Daily News Update & Follow us on Google News.


End of Article

Next Story