OTTAWA, Canada: Canada will impose retaliatory tariffs on US goods starting September 8 in response to new 50% tariffs imposed by the United States, Prime Minister Mark Carney said.
Speaking at a news conference in Ottawa, Carney said the measures would target a range of American products, including steel, dairy goods, household appliances and electronics.
Carney said several days of intense trade negotiations between the two countries ended without an agreement, further escalating tensions between the longtime trading partners and allies.
According to Reuters, Carney said Canada would respond to the new US tariffs “dollar for dollar” to protect Canadian workers, farmers, families and businesses. He said Canada would not accept the U.S. offer or its demands, stressing that Ottawa would not compromise on Canadian sovereignty.
The new US tariffs are expected to affect about $20 billion worth of Canadian exports to the United States. Products affected include alcoholic beverages, furniture, dairy products, cement, clothing, fishing rods and hockey equipment.
Earlier, the US has said that Canada has declined to finalize a trade pact with Washington, minutes before tariffs announced by US President Donald Trump were set to kick in.
“Tonight, Canada declined to finalize the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week,” US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told reporters.
More read, US imposes 50% tariffs on Canadian products
This means that 50% tariffs took effect at 12:01 a.m. EDT (0401 GMT) on Saturday.











