Ronaldo hints at possible retirement after 2026-27 season

Ronaldo said he had already planned his life beyond football and would have plenty of activities.

Ronaldo hints
Ronaldo hints

Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo, 41, said the current season could be his last as a professional soccer player. He made the comment in an interview after marrying his longtime partner, Georgina Rodriguez, on Tuesday.

“This could be my final year in football, and I want to leave a great legacy,” Ronaldo said.

Ronaldo said he has already planned his life after football and looks forward to more time for entertainment, travel and padel. He added that he wants to enjoy the achievements of a career built on 25 years of sacrifice.

He said he looked forward to having more time for entertainment, traveling and playing or watching padel, while also enjoying the achievements of a career built on 25 years of sacrifice.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner and five-time Champions League champion has won league titles in England, Spain, Italy and Saudi Arabia. He is also the leading scorer in men’s international football.

Ronaldo has captained Portugal and played for Saudi Pro League club Al Nassr for nearly four years. He still has one year remaining on his contract with the club.

When asked in July whether the 2026 FIFA World Cup would be his final appearance at the tournament, Ronaldo said he would consult his family before making a decision and would do so with a “peaceful mind.”

More read, Cristiano Ronaldo’s new hairstyle sparks social media buzz

Earlier, Portugal superstar and Al-Nassr captain Cristiano Ronaldo has returned to Riyadh to prepare for the new season, but his latest appearance has drawn attention beyond football after he unveiled a striking new golden hairstyle.

The 40-year-old forward has replaced his traditional dark brown hair with a copper-yellow shade, prompting widespread interest among fans on social media. Images of Ronaldo sporting the new look have quickly gone viral.

Ronaldo returned to Saudi Arabia after spending time in Portugal following the end of his country’s World Cup campaign. Portugal were eliminated by Spain on July 6, after which Ronaldo resumed preparations with Al-Nassr.