The gunman accused of the deadly Bondi Beach shooting made his first appearance in court following the horrific attack in December 2025.
On Monday, February 16, 2026, 24‑year‑old Naveed Akram appeared via video link from Goulburn Correctional Centre, a maximum‑security prison southwest of Sydney, where he is being held on remand. Akram is charged with 59 offences related to the December 14 assault on a Jewish Hanukkah celebration at Sydney’s iconic Bondi Beach, including 15 counts of murder, 40 counts of wounding with intent to murder, and a terrorism charge.
Police allege Akram carried out the mass shooting alongside his 50‑year‑old father, Sajid Akram, who was fatally shot at the scene.
During the brief status hearing, Akram, dressed in prison greens, remained mostly silent and only acknowledged that he understood a discussion about extending non‑publication orders for victim identities.
Outside the courtroom, defense lawyer Ben Archbold said Akram was coping as well as could be expected under the “very onerous conditions” in custody. Archbold also stated it was too early to indicate how his client might plead and that they had not yet discussed details of the alleged incident.
“All we are doing right now is beginning the process,” the lawyer told reporters. “We’re waiting for the brief to be served. There’s nothing more I can say.”
Archbold added that his visits with Akram had been strictly professional: “He’s just a client, and a client that needs to be represented. We do not let our personal views interfere with our professional obligations.”
The case has been adjourned and is expected back in court in April 2026.



















