US tightens green card application rules

Changes could mean stricter documentation requirements.

The Trump administration has introduced stricter U.S. immigration rules that will bring more scrutiny for some green-card applicants and introduce new requirements for foreign students, exchange visitors and journalists.

One of the latest changes involves the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) form used by eligible immigrants already in the United States to apply for permanent residency.

USCIS has announced a new version of Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, which will be required starting Sept. 18, 2026.

The new form will be introduced alongside a Department of Homeland Security rule on public-charge inadmissibility. USCIS said there will be no grace period for using the updated form.

Under the revised public-charge guidance, immigration officers will have a broader set of factors to consider when deciding whether an applicant is likely to depend on government assistance.

Officers will review an applicant’s overall circumstances, including relevant factors and evidence, before making a decision. Some immigrant categories will remain exempt from the public-charge rule.

For people planning to apply for adjustment of status, the most immediate change is the paperwork they must submit.

USCIS said the Sept. 18, 2026, version of Form I-485 will replace the current Jan. 20, 2025, version. The older form will only be accepted if it is postmarked or submitted electronically before Sept. 18.

Applications using the old form on or after Sept. 18 will be rejected. USCIS has also advised applicants not to use the new form before it becomes effective.

Form I-485 is used by eligible immigrants already in the U.S. to apply to become lawful permanent residents. It is not used by people applying for green cards from outside the country through U.S. consulates.

The administration is also changing immigration rules for foreign students, exchange visitors and foreign media representatives.

A separate Department of Homeland Security rule will replace the current duration-of-status system for F, J and I nonimmigrants with fixed admission periods and new procedures for extensions.

The rule will take effect September 15, 2026.

Under the new system, foreign students and exchange visitors will no longer be allowed to remain in the U.S. for the full length of their programs under the previous D/S designation. Instead, they will receive a fixed admission period and may have to apply for an extension when necessary.

Foreign media representatives will also face fixed admission periods and additional requirements under the new rules.

USCIS has also moved to give immigration officers more discretion when reviewing applications for immigration benefits.

Earlier this month, the agency reminded applicants and petitioners that they are responsible for providing enough evidence to prove their eligibility. Officers may deny certain applications without first issuing a Request for Evidence or Notice of Intent to Deny when required initial evidence is missing or the law does not support approval.

USCIS clarified that this does not mean every incomplete application will automatically be denied. Officers may still issue Requests for Evidence when appropriate.

The latest changes reflect a broader move toward stricter oversight of legal immigration. They include closer review of financial circumstances for some green-card applicants, greater monitoring of temporary immigration status and a stronger focus on complete applications.

For Pakistani applicants and others seeking U.S. immigration benefits, the changes could mean stricter documentation requirements and less room for mistakes when submitting applications.