Mala Begum, one of the renowned playback singer of Pakistan remembered on her 30th Death Anniversary.
Mala was born in Faisalabad, her real name is Naseem Begum.
She was the younger sister of Pakistan’s first female music director Shamim Nazli.
Mala Begum she was the top female voices in the country and along with Noor Jehan and Runa Laila, she ruled the hearts till the mid 70s.
She sang most number of duets with Ahmed Rushdi.
Mala Begum’s first hit filmed on Neelo and made people take notice of them as actress – singer.
Mala Begum started her career somewhere around the late ’50s.
She sang more than 300 songs in almost two decades singing career.
Mala equally popular in the East wing of Pakistan and play-backed for Shabnam in this classic film.
Here are some of her other super hit film songs:
- Dil deta hai ro ro duhai (Ishq par zor nahin 1963)
- Agar tum pyar se dekho to apni jan
- Tujh peh qurban, dilbar jan (Sarhad 1966)
- Shama ka Shola bharak raha hai (Aadil 1966)
- Dil mein basaya pyar se ham ne (Jaag utha Insaan 1966)
- Kise awaz dun, tere siwa… (Sharik-e-Hayyat 1968)
- Tere gham se mohabbat ho geye hai (Shab bakhair 1968)
- Too ne bar bar kiya mujhe beqarar (Saza 1970)
- Chaley thandi hawa chham chham.
The last days of Mala were fraught with loneliness and misery.
She could not come to grips with the harsh realities of life.
Above all, she found herself in the midst of deep financial crisis. Mala Begum died on March 6, 1990.