Despite the deployment of thousands of troops in the western Himalayas, Indian Army Chief General Manoj Mukund Naravane said the ongoing border dispute with China could be resolved through dialogue.
According to the details, General Manoj said that he was satisfied that the ongoing dispute with China would be resolved through talks.
Note that the forces of the two nuclear powers on the border have been facing each other for months.
“We are convinced that the issues can be fully resolved through dialogue,” he said during a visit to Ladakh.
He said the situation along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) was “somewhat tense” and that India had deployed additional troops in several areas to prevent any Chinese activity.
India blames China for border tensions and argues that China is violating a bilateral agreement to keep its troops out of the Ladakh glacier.
On the other hand, China had said late last month that the Indian military had illegally interfered in the LAC and violated China’s border sovereignty.
Despite accusations of border tensions, the two countries expressed a desire to find a negotiated solution, and military officials held talks for several days in the Pangong area of southern Ladakh, where the latest clash took place.
Indian and Chinese media reported in a recent report that a meeting between the two countries’ defence ministries is expected in the Russian capital, Moscow.
In Russia, the defence ministers of the two countries are attending a meeting under the auspices of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization.
“Will the Chinese and Indian defence ministers meet in Moscow? Based on what I know, this arrangement between the two sides has made progress. The meeting between Wei Fenghe and Rajnath Singh has a big probability to be held,” Hu Xijin, editor-in-chief of the Chinese newspaper Global Times, said on Twitter.
Will the Chinese and Indian defense ministers meet in Moscow? Based on what I know, this arrangement between the two sides has made progress. The meeting between Wei Fenghe and Rajnath Singh has a big probability to be held.
— Hu Xijin 胡锡进 (@HuXijin_GT) September 4, 2020
A spokesman for the Indian Ministry of Defense said he had no information about the meeting.
The meeting between the defence ministers of China and India will be the first high-level meeting between the two countries since border tensions in June this year.
It may be recalled that on June 20, 20 Indian soldiers were killed during tensions in the Galwan Valley, after which both sides agreed to withdraw.
However, despite several rounds of talks, the armies are facing each other at various points, including the highest point, Pangong Tso lake, which both countries claim.
Later, on August 31, both China and India once again accused each other of provocation on the Himalayan border.
The Indian Army had said in a statement that on the night between August 29 and 30, 2020, the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had violated a previous agreement reached during military and diplomatic contacts during the ongoing tensions in the eastern part of Ladakh. Violations and provocative military moves to change the status quo.
The Chinese military responded by saying that the Indian army had crossed the border at Pangong Tsu near the lake at an altitude of 4,200 meters and provoked tensions on the border.
A statement issued by the People’s Liberation Army Regional Command further said that the Chinese military was taking necessary steps to counter all such operations as India was seriously violating regional sovereignty.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry said it had always respected the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and never crossed it.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said border troops on both sides maintained communication on-ground issues.
It is to be noted that there is a dispute between India and China on the border of about 3500 km (2,000 miles) long and that is why war broke out between the two countries in 1962. However, for half a century this summer Had reached its peak.