Russia launched a major overnight attack on Ukraine using hundreds of drones and dozens of missiles. The strikes caused deaths, injuries, and heavy destruction in several regions across the country.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Kyiv was the main target of the attacks. However, other parts of Ukraine also came under fire during the night.
Explosions were heard across Kyiv from late Saturday night into early Sunday morning. Ukrainian officials said at least four people were killed in Kyiv and nearby areas. More than 80 others were injured during the attacks.
View this post on Instagram
Several residential buildings, schools, shopping centres, and emergency service buildings were damaged. Rescue workers rushed to different locations to control fires, remove debris, and help trapped residents.
Ukraine’s air force said Russia launched around 90 missiles and nearly 600 drones during the operation.
Officials added that many drones and missiles were intercepted before hitting their targets. Despite this, several areas in Kyiv suffered major destruction.
Russia’s Defence Ministry said the strikes were a response to what it described as Ukrainian attacks on civilian infrastructure.
Russian President Vladimir Putin accused Ukraine of attacking a student dormitory in Starobilsk earlier this week. Reports said 21 people were killed in that incident.

Ukraine confirmed it carried out an operation near Starobilsk. However, Ukrainian officials said the target was a Russian military unit, not civilians.
President Zelensky also claimed Russia used the Oreshnik hypersonic missile during the attacks.
The missile is known for its extremely high speed and ability to carry both conventional and nuclear warheads. Ukraine is still investigating the exact weapons used in the strikes.
If confirmed, this would be the third reported use of the Oreshnik missile during the war.
European leaders, including Emmanuel Macron and Friedrich Merz, criticized the reported use of the weapon. EU official Kaja Kallas called it a dangerous political tactic.
Ukrainian authorities described the strikes as deliberate attacks on civilians. Rescue and recovery operations are still continuing in the affected regions.

















