American troops injured in Iraqi rocket attack

Aizbah KhanWeb Editor

14th Mar, 2020. 10:16 pm
American troops injured in Iraqi rocket attack

Iraqi security officials said that  a barrage of rockets hit a base housing U.S. and other coalition troops north of Baghdad just days after a similar attack.

The officials said over a dozen rockets landed inside the base. Some struck the area where coalition forces are based, while others fell on a runway used by Iraqi forces.

On the other hand United States official military Spokesperson for Operation Inherent Resolve Colonel  Myles B. Caggins says at least 25 rockets hit Camp Taji today in the brazen attack which occurred in broad daylight, which is rare.

On Friday, the Iraqi military statement said that three soldiers, two policemen and one civilian were killed in the so-called retaliatory US strikes. Baghdad claims that no paramilitary fighters died in the attack.

The Iraqi foreign ministry said that it had demanded an audience with the US and British ambassadors over the incident, which Iraq says killed six people and wounded twelve.

Iraq’s Joint Operations Command said in a statement issued on the same day that the strikes had been carried out using a “false pretext” and would lead to “escalation” rather than helping to bring stability to the war-torn country.

The head of U.S. forces in the Middle East Gen. Kenneth “Frank” McKenzie said on Friday that Kata’ib Hezbollah was responsible for the attack Wednesday as well as 11 other attacks on U.S. forces in Iraq over the past six months.

America claimed that their Air Force jets destroyed 5 weapon storage sites housing 107 mm Katyusha rockets, the same rockets used in the attack Wednesday and Saturday.

U.S. airstrikes killed dozens of Iranian-backed militants days later prompting an angry mob to attempt to storm the U.S. embassy in Baghdad.

The tension mount in Middle East when in January this year the head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards’ elite Quds Force has been assassinated by the US forces in Iraq.

He was killed as per the instruction of the US President Donald Trump, Pentagon explains.

Javad Zarif, Iran’s Foreign Minister has declared the incident as “extremely dangerous and a foolish escalation.”

Adsence 300X250