Gulab Jamun, one of the most favourite and appetizing sweet dish we all love to have especially in the winter season when these sweet balls are served piping hot.
Basically, Gulab Jamun doesn’t need any detailed introduction. It is a milk-solid-based sweet from the Indian subcontinent, and a type of mithai, popular in India, Nepal, Pakistan, the Maldives, and Bangladesh.
This sweet dish is easy to have appetite from shops and bakeries but it becomes tastier when you prepare it at home.
People who are sweet lovers by default will certainly love this delightful aroma, but those of you who don’t have a sweet tooth should consume the dish in moderation.
However, here we have a step by step guide if anyone of you wishes to prepare Gulab Jamun at home.
How to make Sugar Syrup?
- sugar 2 cups
- water 1-1/2 cup
- cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
- rose water 1-1/2 tbsp
Directions to prepare Gulab Jamun:
1. In a pan add 2 cups sugar with 1-1/2 cup water. turn on the heat. stir and cook on medium to high heat.
2. When sugar dissolves completely, add 1/2 tsp small cardamom powder and 1-1/2 tbsp rose water let it boil for 1 minute then turn off the heat don’t overcook it, because we need a runny consistency of sugar syrup that absorb easily by gulab jamun.
3. Soak 1 tbsp semolina in 4 tbsp lukewarm water. set aside for 5 minutes.
4. In a flat pan add 1 cup milk powder, add in 1 tbsp desi ghee or shortening. Now with your hand start rubbing it so the ghee vanishes in milk powder.
5. Then add 1 tbsp plain flour with 1/2 tsp baking powder mix well with hands, then add soaked semolina, throw extra water from semolina then add in. again with your both hands rub this mixture until combine well, and semolina vanishes in milk powder completely.
6. Take 1 egg, separate yolk and white. now first add yolk in it and start mixing it with your hands, don’t knead it, just mix it because we never knead gulab jamun dough, we just mix it with light hands. now add 2 tbsp egg white and again with light hands mix it. If you are vegetarian use milk 4-5 tbsp and mix the dough with light hands, don’t knead the dough hard. Now start by adding milk 1 tbsp at a time until you get the desired consistency of dough. The remaining steps will remain the same.
7. Now cover the dough with a plastic wrap for 5 minutes.
8. After 5 minutes make balls from the dough by taking a small portion of dough on your palm, press it hard, so all air release from it, now roll it around.
9. Heat oil in a wok. don’t overheat it, it should be like when you add gulab jamun in it, they should sit in the bottom of the pan.
10. Now on medium heat cook them, and don’t touch the heat, just keep stirring the oil from sides so all gulab jamun will equally golden. This will take 7-10 minutes. and not, in any case, increase the heat because then gulab jamun will raw inside and golden outside.
11. When gulab jamun are completely golden, take them out and add in sugar syrup direct. Sugar syrup should be lightly hot at this time. Keep the balls in sugar syrup for almost 20-30 minutes.
12. Dish the balls out, garnish with almonds and serve.