The world celebrates Human Rights Day today (10th December 2020). This year, the theme is to Recover Better – Stand Up for Human Rights.
The theme reflects the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and focuses on the need to stand again to build better by ensuring Human rights.
The United Nations highlights that,
“The COVID-19 crisis has been fuelled by deepening poverty, rising inequalities, structural and entrenched discrimination, and other gaps in human rights protection. Only measures to close these gaps and advance human rights can ensure we fully recover and build back a world that is better, more resilient, just, and sustainable,” UN’s website says.
Human Rights Quotes:
- Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” – Martin Luther King
- “A right delayed is a right denied.” – Martin Luther King, Jr
- “To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.” – Nelson Mandela
- “Freedom means the supremacy of human rights everywhere. Our support goes to those who struggle to gain those rights or keep them. Our strength is our unity of purpose. To that high concept there can be no end save victory.” – Franklin D Roosevelt
- “The rights of every man are diminished when the rights of one man are threatened.” – John F Kennedy
- “Knowledge makes a man unfit to be a slave.” -Frederick Douglass
- “There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
- “There can be no peace without development, no development without peace, and no lasting peace or sustainable development without respect for human rights and the rule of law.” – Former UN Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson