Brussels: The European Union (EU) has rejected parts of the proposed US President Donald Trump’s plan for the Middle East.
The sources of Reuters said, The EU, which often takes time to respond to international developments because of a need for unanimity among its 27 members, had said last week that it needed to study the Trump plan before it would give its verdict.
It made its conclusions public on Tuesday in a statement from EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell, who said Trump’s plan departs from “internationally agreed parameters”.
“To build a just and lasting peace, the unresolved final status issues must be decided through direct negotiations between both parties,” Borrell said, noting the issues of the borders of a Palestinian state and the final status of Jerusalem were among those still in dispute.
Steps by Israel to annex Palestinian territory, “if implemented, could not pass unchallenged,” Borrell said.
Last week, US President Donald Trump presented a proposal to address the conflict. The plan, which Trump dubbed the “deal of the century,” would give Israel control over Jewish settlements on the West Bank and Jordan Valley, while also calling for a Palestinian state. It was rejected by Palestinian leadership both pior to and after its unveiling.
Earlier on February 2, Top European Union diplomat Josep Borrell was expected in Tehran Monday, Iran’s foreign ministry announced a day ahead of the visit, amid new tensions over the Iranian nuclear issue.
Foreign ministry spokesperson Abbas Moussavi said in a statement, “will visit Iran tomorrow for the first time since taking office (in early December). He is set to meet the foreign minister (Mohammad Javad Zarif) and other Iranian senior officials for consultations.”
Moussavi gave no details on when Borrell would arrive or how long he would remain in the country.
His visit comes amid heightened tensions between Iran and the West over the Islamic republic’s nuclear program.