On Wednesday, the foreign ministry of China said the statement by the Indian army which states that Indian troops pre-empted the Chinese military’s actions, “fully proves that it was the first to illegally cross the border in an act of provocation”.
According to the Chinese ministry, India has repeatedly violated the bilateral agreements and the important consensus on the western section of the China-India border.
The ministry further accused the Indian army of unilaterally changing the status quo by force, escalated border tensions, and disturbed the peace.
Hua Chunying, spokesperson for the Chinese foreign ministry said during the media’s briefing on Wednesday that,
“The responsibility rests entirely with the Indian side. China has exercised great restraint to prevent the situation from escalating.”
He further said,
“The two sides are currently in contact through military and diplomatic channels.”
Earlier on Tuesday, India said that the situation in East Ladakh remains critical as the Indian and Chinese troops engaged in violence.
An Indian senior military official said,
“The situation is very tense in the Chushul area with the PLA fully in aggressive mode and show-casing heavy-caliber weapons to force the Indian Army to give in. The Indian Army has also matched weapons and blunted the Chinese offensive both at the south of Pangong Tso and Rezang La by a counter-offensive mounted by the Special Frontier Forces.”
He further added,
“Indian troops preempted this PLA activity on the southern bank of Pangong Tso lake, undertook measures to strengthen our positions and thwart Chinese intentions to unilaterally change facts on the ground.”