At least 30 Afghan security force members were killed in a car bombing in Afghanistan’s central province of Ghazni on Sunday.
Officials said casualties could increase given the intensity and location of the blast.
Baz Mohammad Hemat, director of the provincial hospital in Ghazni, said 30 bodies and 24 injured people had been transported there. “All of the victims are security personnel,” he said.
The blast took place at a compound of the public protection force, a wing of the Afghan security forces. Local officials said that it damaged civilian residences around the compound, and there could be more casualties from there.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Interior ministry spokesman Tariq Arian confirmed that there had been a car bomb blast but did not provide further information on the target or possible casualties.
A blast followed by gunfire has been reported near the main university in the Afghan capital on Monday.
Interior Ministry said that security forces had been deployed to the area.
“Gunshots still can be heard in the area but security forces have blocked it off,” Ministry of Interior spokesman Tariq Arian said.
“We don’t know whether we are dealing with a coordinated attack or something else,” he said.
Reports about casualties or injuries have not come yet. It is not clear who was responsible for the attack.